Re: headphones. pioneer or bose?

SLJ, you're thinking of active noise cancellation. This is sometimes confusing since microphones can also have noise cancellation so on a combined headset you need to check whether it's the headphones or the mic that has the cancellation. For sitting around at home at a desk I like the kind that blot out background noise, it lets me concentrate more on whatever I'm listening to whether it be a game, music or film/TV.

I'm using a 5.1 Roccat Cave headset which I enjoy but I've never owned proper DJ level headphones so it probably isn't up to the quality that a true audiophile would expect. It doesn't have the most bass in the world but I find the way to get the best out of it is using the effects DSP plugin for foobar 2000, using IRE effects and setting it on "notch" instead of bass boost while also using the channel mixer plug in set to 6 channel. I also like having the media player's volume set a little low and then turning u p the volume with the dial on the desk unit since having the media player's own volume level high seems to make some kind of distortion. The other downsides to this headset are that it requires a 5.1 compatible sound device, though this is pretty common these days, and a USB port for power, plus you can't just plug it into another 3.5mm source should you wish to for any reason. That said my previous headphones were turtle beach X12s with the DSS2 processor and I like these headphones better, the surround gives a much fuller experience I find.