Re: Monthly chat december

O no not all stereotypes at all, I said lots, what I mean by that is, more than people want to think and accept.

And what I mean by truth isn't the clouded truth of the stereotype it's self, what I mean is the cold hard facts that can be found in more stereotypes than people would like to think, and the cold hard fact is that in most 3rd world, yes, I don't much like the term either because it' creates a gulf and doesn't recognize our own problems while at the same time elevating our society, but it's a useful way to not go on for a paragraph or more being politically correct, but that in most third world countries, yes, disability is viewed as a curse to keep away from people, and that, what we would consider a difficult but workable disability to overcome here, may be grounds for getting rid of that baby, something that is practiced in many places.

That doesn't mean that communities are not able to rise up and help that child and parents or gardians to overcome any obsticles and when I hear of such things it's very inspiring, nor am I trying to suggest that it is impossible for a person to overcome cultural bias and raise the baby anyway with as much love and support as any other, nor even that it's impossible for that child to not be overly sheltered and unable to function indipendently as an adult later on in that child's life do to cultural and religious beliefs, but I am fine with saying that it's unlikely.

And it's not at all as if we don't have these stigmas here too, but I would say that the majority of the people around you aren't averse to your very existance here, either, allowing you to find people that can accept you mor easily.

I find that this carries over in a few different ways with people from other countries that migrate to places such as America, the UK, and Canada as well as others...

Sometimes, the sti gma remains deeply rooted, and those people will avoid you, fear you, even hate you for managing to even function, though that is not very common thankfully.
Other times it manifests as constant worry, selfish fear for your safety with out consideration of you as a person, panic, stress, resentment at being placed in a situation with you, violent defense of you, fear of having to deal with you, so to speak, because of the fact that they feel obligated to do so, and they don't really care about how you feel at all.
Other times, very pleasantly in fact, you will get very understanding people, who even charish you for getting this far, want to know you, learn more about you, admire you and take strength from you, think about how you differ from people in their own country in how independant you are, and sometimes it stops there, but other times they actually crack that shell of admiration and get to know you as a person, as well, without the disability attached.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen with people in my country too, I'm just saying that it's more likely that the stigma will be negative, yet while also fully realizing, which I do, that not all countries have the same views as others, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression of trying to lump everyone in together under one banner.

These are just observations I have made personally, stories related from my blind father who is fully East Indian and was born in Canada, then moved to America and is now back in Canada, multicultural blind friends, people on forums including this one... etc.