Re: Monthly chat January 2015

@dark hope your mom feels better soon... This is an installer for the arch linux distro. arch does not have an automatic installer and setting up an arch install was quite a pain in the butt gun for me when I did it, so over the past few months I put this together. It does have accessibility built in, orca, chromevox, eviacam for head tracking with a webcam and espeakup console screen reader with output to espeakup, and freespeech dictation. The downside is that it does take quite a while to install, several hours to be exact and it does set your time zone to new york by default, although you can change that later. If you're interested, here's the readme:
Arch Autobuild Live Environment
Contents
++disclaimer
++intro
++requirements
++How to use
++What this installs:
++What this will do
++FAQS
++disclaimer
    Arch Autobuild Live Environment
    Copyright (C) 2014  Daniel Nash

  ;   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    (at your option) any later version.

    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
    with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
    51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.

    I can be contacted by email at dnl.n...@gmail.com

++intro
This is a modified live arch linux distribution with an easy to use text-based installation process
***IMPORTANT NOTE*** THIS WILL DESTROY ALL DATA ON YOUR FIRST HARD DISK! BACK UP ALL OF YOUR DATA BEFORE YOU TYPE AUTOBUILD!!!
By first disk, I am refering to the disk that linux believes is sda, so  unplug all other disks than the target disk during the installation process (I know I sound like apple, but I'm just making sure I don't get mobbed by a bunch of people who didn't read this file and are wondering why they accidently blew away the wrong disk).  If you are planning to dule boot, your best bet is to use VirtualBox, because due to time constraints in developing this thing, I did not have the time to put in a function to ask you how much space you want to give linux, so it will use your whole disk.
++requirements
Any computer with an i386 or x86_64 archetecture (You'll be surprised what this thing runs on, even a p2 with 128 megs of ram)
dvd dri ve or flash stick for installation
wired or wireless network card to download installation packages over the net
make sure your system is connected to AC power during the install
anywhere from 2 to 8 hours(your best bet is to run this, go to lunch when it gets to the installation step, then come back to do the post install steps)
An external drive with a larger capacity than your hard disk if you are going to back up your system with clonezilla
++How to use
To automatically build your system, follow these simple instructions:
1: BACK UP ALL DATA!!!!! before starting this install since it will destroy all information on the first hard disk that it sees (sda) **THIS THING SHOWS NO MERCY!**
Note: if you need assistance with backing up your data, use clonezilla, a free backup solution included on both installation images. To run, at the root prompt, type clonezilla, select device image, then follow the displayed or spoken prompts (If using the tal king image and you are only hearing ok cancel, press the * key on the numpad until you hear highlight tracking and try to move in the lists again)
2: After you finish with your backups and burning the iso, boot from the newly created dvd by placing it in your drive and restarting your computer. While you see your manufacturer's logo (hp, sony, dell, etc), continue pressing the boot menu key (f12 for most manufacturers, f9 for hp's, and select cd rom, ide1, cd/dvd-rom, or something similar from the menu.
3: After reading the readme file, when you get the root prompt which should look like "[root@archiso~#}", just type autobuild
4: watch it fly. you will be asked a few questions during the setup process such as encryption key (your password that you will type each time you turn on your computer to protect your files, and after the installation completes, the username, passwords, etc. Simply follow the instructions displayed on your screen or spoken by espeakup if using the talking installer to complete the install.
++What this installs:
This script installs a variety of software, almost too much to count. Here is a brief selection:
gnome, kde, lxde, xfce, cinnamon, mate, and enlightenment desktops including all accompanying software collections
thunderbird email client
libreOffice productivity suite(writer, impress, calc, base and draw (the linux equivilent of ms office, for free, including a word processer, presentation program, spreadsheet program, drawing program, and a database solution))
firefox web browser
chromium web browser
google chrome web browser
pandora internet radio client
fortuner desktop fortune cookies
youtube-dl video downloader used in command line (find a video you want to download on youtube in your browser of choice, coppy the address by right clicking the video link and selecting the coppy link address, coppy link location or something similar option in your browser, open the terminal application through the desktop search box or the menus, type youtube-dl paste the link, and watch is fly)
gparted partitioner
ntfs-3g read and write ntfs volumes
VirtualBox virtualization tool, allowing you to run virtual machines to run other opperating systems, giving each one it's own disk space, memory, etc...(this is the best way to multiboot, but it will eat your ram like a thirsty camel after a 200 mile long journey accross the gobi desert)
wine: run windows programs on your linux system
emacs (the opperating system disguised as a text editor smile
multimedia (mp3) support
banshee media player (iTunes for linux), oh I mean an actual media player and not an ad machine
tesseract ocr system with ocrfeeder and gimagereader graphical frontends
retroarch emulation system, ever wanted a desktop arcade? this app wil l give you just that, it emulates many retro systems, from the ancient pong consoles to the playstation 1 (roms not included, try coolrom.com or similar, look up mame rom files or (system name) roms on google)
audacious music player (winamp clone)
audacity audio editor
vlc media player
simple ocr program that reads the text from the scanned image aloud, open a terminal, type ocr, hit enter, and assuming that your scanner is sane-compatible (most are these days), just sit back and listen, just make sure the sheet isn't upside-down, otherwise, you'll be asking what the french fries is this nonsense?
A load of other software, 23 gigs of goodies, take your pick
++What this will do
1: connect you to the internet with wifi
2: partition your disk, if you see "partitioning your disk", you're done, remember I said back up your data?
3: format and mount the boot volume that will hold the kernel and grub config
4: set up disk enc ryption (this is required, because everytime I tryed without disk encryption, grub came back and gave me a nice out of memory error and would leave me staring at a grub boot prompt, and besides, it's a barrier to theives ("Give me your computer!", you shut it down, and sure, take it!) they'll be spending days just guessing your disk encryption key, and later, thanks to ecryptfs home folder encryption, your login password
5: format your newly encrypted root as ext4
6: make a fstab (temp copy)
7: install software (this will take a long time to download upwards of 4 gigs of packages over your network connection (Don't try this on your carriers network unless you have unlimited data, otherwise, oink oink, your data bill raises the roof )
8: copy your temp fstab to your new root
9: copy your grub.cfg file that will auto-boot the system
10: run a post install script that will install software not included in the default repos, like google chrom e, pithos, fbcmd (use facebook from the command line), retroarch, etc..., enable services like printer support, bluetooth, the gnome display manager, etc..., set a root (system god) password and make an account for you to use and set up your password and finally setup home encryption, protecting your files, even if a thief takes out your drive
++FAQS
Q: Why is my hp system refusing to boot?
a: This has happened to me several times, the sollution is to immediately press the esc key after powering up, before you see the hp logo and press enter at the startup menu, it appears to be a bug with the hp firmware, where it trys to execute the fake mbr code in the gpt too early and doesn't give control to grub and later, the linux kernel, this seems to be due to a setting in the bios which I haven't been able to pin down as of yet, just hit esc while powering up and then enter.
Q: When I start up, I don't see a desktop or a login manager, I just see this th ing saying to enter my passphrase to unlock dev sda, what does this mean?