Re: Monthly chat February 2015

@Nin, yep, the Erragon film is very, very horrible. About the only good thing in it is being disturbed at Jeremy Ions playing the gandalf style good wizard big_smile.
I went to see it with a friend of mine when it first came out, not because we thought it was good, but because we wanted a laugh.

In fairness when I saw the film I got the idea it was just the first book, not the hole series at all, sinse at the end the evil king was still alive and the girl was going off to find the elves, but either way it was very bad, I laughed at the fact that at the end Eragon and tocan elf girl have this supposedly romantic "oh I don't know when I'll see you again" conversation, and yet sinse she was unconscious when she got rescued and then was immediately cursed, when had they ever actually got time to speak?

We also made a lot of jokes about the name of the dragon, sinse the Voxall saphira is a make of car, what do we have next, the almighty barbarian hero Sko dar? Or how about the awsome wizard far ari? or maybe two warrior brothers, Lan Jro var! and his brother Rain Jro var! big_smile.

I must admit I've not read the series sinse I've heard too many reports that they're so derivative of fantasy they read like a "best off", eg the 13 for sworn  like the 13 Forsaken from wheel of time, or the magical dragon bond being very much based on Anne MCcafry, and the plot being pretty much lifted hole sale from starwars (something that struck me in the film), so I can't say what the film's relationship to the book is like, though inn fareness I suppose probably should try the books myself and make my own mind up, sinse anything can be good if done well, although I have too many actually awsome stu f to read to go and try something that is contravertial at least, and possibly rather bad if not.

As to monthly chatterings, well I'm off to London this weekend for a singing course which will be fun if rather exhausting given I need to catch a 630 train. this one is even two days which is going to be interesting.

I did have a random experience yesterday when I actively found something in the "Blind technology" range that fitted what I needed better than anything sighted we were looking for.
The local blindness society were having an exhibition (calibur cassette library were there along with Dolphin but it was very small generally).
apart from saying hi to calibur, who I've always had a lot of respect for (I only finished with them because I'd read their entire catalogue of sf and fantasy), I did find something I've been looking for for a while.

Sinse I have lots of audiobooks, I've wanted to share some with my dad, who, though he's not exactly a fantasy nut does enjoy the odd author like Niel Gayman, indeed he first got me into steven King.
we were therefore looking for an mp3 player with usb capability that I could stick stuff on for him to listen to, however sinse my dad really! isn't the most technically adept of people we were looking for something fairly streight forward, and have been through a couple of near misses, which my dad ran into problems with one way or another (on one occasion for example he managed to stick the hole thing on shuffle).

I was therefore quite surprised to run into a player known as boombox which I'd not heard of before. Looking at it it seemed fairly streight forward, indeed it doesn't even have speech, just the ability to play from a memory stick or be a digital radio and three buttons.
When I first saw it I thought "okay, so what is the price?" expecting at least several zeroes, however to my utter surprise it t urns out to be 30 quid, (15 given it was in a sale).

This has proove just what my dad needed (right now he's halfway through the Bbc Neverwhere radio play). Quite surprising really that i have to go to a society for the blind to find something just purely none technical enough for my dad. No, the Boombox wouldn't sute me at all, I like the Victor stream with it's multiple folders and other bells and whistles (expensive though it was), however I will say I'm very pleased at something that does exactly what it says on the tin and doesn't cost the earth.
The only issue I've run into with the boombox is I can't work out how the hell it orders folders, sinse I tried to stick on several audiobooks for my dad, but even when I numbered each folder "01" or "02" they seem to play in an odd order.
I'm not sure if it's something to do with the files in each folder or what, I need to do some more experimenting to see how exactly it's index system works. it wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to know what file and folder you were on, but with the boombox there is no speech or even a screen display.

In other news, I've just reconnected my mega drive and am trying a few old favourites, it's good to play the three sor games and golden axe again, not to mention the awsomeness of gunstar heroes, albeit I'm badly out of practice, (I even lost a life in Sor2 to the bikers on level 2, which was annoying).

Books wise, I'm still ploughing through Doctor who audios, though I'm a happy ploughman sinse I really do find even the ones I remember as less good aren't bad, there have been a couple of clunkers but not too many, indeed Daleks among us that got hammered by several reviewers I just finished and rather enjoyed, particularly the clone of DAvros plot albeit I do wish the persuasion machine had got more airing.
I also just finished the seco nd full season of Vienna from Big finish, sort of a super assassin in a high tech galaxy. A good series but I really am not sure of Vienna as a cop, or of her remaining in one location, plus three stories seems a bit short for a full series plot, I was just starting to get into the series in Underworld, the second story then I suddenly hit the conclusion, four is a much better number especially when doing thse big reveal type plots, and having body swapping and mind wipes and all the other random shenanigans Vienna has.
I also really! am not keen on Vienna having a new sidekick, especially someone with such an abysmal attempt at a new york accent.

All in all not bad, but not as good as the first series or the special The memory box.

Well this got rather a tyrade so methinks I'll stop big_smile.