Re: Psycho Strike - New Strategy/Action game

@JLove,

Gonna tell you a little secret...sort of an open secret, actually.
You don't need a blazing-fast processor or tons and tons of ram to handle windows 7. Pretty much any post-2004 computer that could run XP and even something like Jaws 4.0 could run Windows 7. This is particularly true if, using said Windows 7 OS, you used NVDA instead of jaws.
I totally agree that buying both a computer and a new OS can get a bit spendy, particularly if your old machine still works well. I just happen to disagree that this is a necessity; you can, in many cases, get hold of an OS without having to buy a newer machine that comes with windows 8 pre-loaded.

Microsoft, and many other companies, want you to believe that you actually need all this new power under the hood in order to support newer versions of their operating system. It's not true. You need all that power if you want the best visual resolution, the best framerate-per-second graphics rendering, and t o be able to play the newest and best games. The basic operating system does keep getting bigger and more robust, but it does not demand so much of your machine that having something with slightly lower specs is going to make your OS lag. You wouldn't want windows 8.1 and Jaws 15 on a machine with only 256 or 512DDR, it's true, but that's probably more because of Jaws than the OS.
All this goes to say that if you want to update your OS without completely changing your machine, you probably can, and you'll find it's considerably cheaper to do so.

I'll give Paladin of the Sky, at least, one strong point in its favour. If you know the game, you can finish it in under twenty hours. If you don't, tack oon another three to ten hours depending on how fast or slow you go. For twenty-five bucks, thirty hours of gameplay is really nothing to sneeze at. The quality of that gameplay may be spotty in places, but there's a lot of it, and a lot of work obviously went into that game.
A lot of work might, at the time, have gone into Shades of Doom as well, though I don't think so. There's a game you can finish in under four hours if you're quick, a game in which you run around right-angled rooms and passages and enjoy a 2d shooter with no up-and-down mechanics (which is why I say it's not 3d, technically). There are something like three songs in the game, two of which are basically just clones of each other; there's a little snip of a Pink Floyd tune when you enter the elevator; there are something like nine different types of enemies, not including the boss, and the game costs twenty bucks I think. I bet you dollars to doughnuts that someone could put together a first-person shooter that totally obliterates Shades of Doom by way of detail, immersion and even straight-up quality, but they wouldn't dare charge twice the money for it.

What I'm driving at here is that it's sort o f a forked stick we're dealing with. Twenty to thirty dollars is common for a developer to charge, but some games offer far more for the money than others do (quality, time for gameplay, variations, etc). Developers feel like charging less may get them ripped off; players feel like twenty-five bucks is a lot of money for a mediocre game, and they might even be right. Players also seem to feel as if paying any amount of money for a game, regardless of its quality, entitles them to yell when something doesn't go their way. It doesn't.

Sorry, rambling a little, I suppose. I guess the whole reason I brought this up is that I would one day like to see game price more accurately reflect what the game actually contains. Something like Q9, cute as it is, might be ten bucks; Shades of Doom might be fifteen; Paladin of the Sky might keep its twenty-five-dollar price tag, owing to its sheer breadth and length. At least then there'd be a bit more consistency, and the p rice being charged would give at least a glimpse of what a player could expect from the game.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Chris via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Spiraling Wyvern via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Spiraling Wyvern via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : JLove via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Chris via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Chris via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : troopanum via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : po1040 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : po1040 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : brad via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : whocrazy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : vlad25 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : CAE_Jones via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : criticview via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : criticview via Audiogames-reflector