Re: Monthly chat July 2015

Hmm, I kept meaning to reply to this topic but didn't get around to it.

@Tom, sorry to here about the health issues and the bills, I will say that it is at these moments I'm actually glad I live inBritain with the Nhs, sinse while they definitely have their issues it's far better than worrying about getting important health checks for financial reasons, heck I don't even know if I'd still be able to have any vision in America given my cocktail of necessary medications.

The celibrations sound fun, though what the heck are jo joes? I've had root beer before, and actually it's something I like and don't get much of over here, but I've never heard of jo joes.
@Cinnamon, congrats on the job, I hope it's the fun kind of human resources which actually requires you to think rather than the really boring kind which basically treats employees like glorified computers, I've had friends who've done both before. you r comment about clerkes was a little odd until I read it phonetically, sinse obviously like me, orphius is English, it's a similar pronunciation to derby, though I have also seen it written as a r k.
I'll admit the Us thing of calling them clerkes to rhyme with Kirk always sounds weerd to me, but I suppose it would big_smile.

Today I went to an informational morning on guide dogs. Guide dogs is one of the few charities over here that I have a lot of time for, and not just because of the dogs. Some of ttheir campaigns, about getting laws inforced regarding pavement parking and audio announcements on busses were interesting to know about and of course I put my ore in, I'll also e helping a little with one of their fund raising days doing a bit of singing.
It's odd, most organizations for the blind over here I don't tend to find work well because of the usual "what we say goes", or "we're only interested in specific people" ethos, but guide dogs don't work like that, or at least they haven't recently, they also gave me some handy suggestions sinse loyds are closing my local branch which is a pain in the arse and means I'll need to walk into the very crowded center of town to find the other Loyds bank.
I know roughly where it is, but "roughly" is the operative word, and unfortunately blind square doesn't seem quite accurate enough to tell you which door on a street is which, guide dogs however do have a service where you can ask one of the trainers to do a route with your dog with you which would be good.
I will also see about contacting another majestrate's court in newcastle, which is about 15 minutes away on the train and see if they want volunteers.

In other news, my book reviews still continue to be popular which is good, I've recently st arted on articles for the site too. you can find them over at www.fantasybookreview.co.uk. Right now I'm working on one for the first red dwarf novel, infinity welcomes careful drivers, ---- well I am when I can tear myself away from Doctor who audios or adventure to fate, really it's amazing how a game with so little description is so dam addictive! big_smile.

On Doctor who, well as you know I think Steven Moffat is a genius with an ever original take on surprising pplotlines which are always satisfyingly resolved and a gift for telling emotional stories with diverse characters, ---- I also think the moon is made of green cheese, free market capitalism insures fareness for all, jar jar binks is the best thing to happen to Starwars ever and coffee is the creation of Satan!

I'm afraid "Moffat must die", or at least "moffat must stop producing doctor who" has been my thought ever sinse season 5.I don't know which gets me more, the constant business about asking unresolved questions that go no where, the super fast storylines that try to be epic but don't have the characters or time to help, the fact that Moffat can only write one female character and we get this same over confident, over flirty ever smug and self centered woman shoved down our throats whether she's called missy or amy or river song.

I think though the single thing that irritates me most with moffat is his kiddy kiddy approach, where nothing bad is ever allowed to happen  ever! this I'm afraid Aaron is why i hated the so called fiftyieth aniversary special, sinse you know the time war, that traumatized the doctor for the past two  regenerations and made the galaxy so wonderfully dark? well by the way there were children on gallifrey and will someone please! think of the children!
And it's not just retconning the time war (though that is bad enough). Look at the Forest of the niht episode last year when oooh, look it starts with a cute child who's lost her sister and of course the sister turns up at the end!
If Doctor who has ever had a single over riding point, it is that you can't change the past even with a time machine, indeed verrity lambert and Cid newman originally had the first Doctor's tardis uncontrollable in the sixties because! they realized how easily time travel could wreck the drama in any story.

This is a point that's reitterated again and again, indeed often the Doctor is asked by people to go back and prevent bad stuff from happening, but at least in the classic series and the audios he refuses, because the Doctor isn't god or father christmas or some sort of magic wizard, he's just a chap trying to do his bestt.

This point is made again  and again in none moffat doct or who, that changing the past is a bad idea. The astecs, The meddling monk, day of the daleks, and in the new series under Russel with waters of mars and fires of Pompay.
Indeed the audios explore this even more, sinse they can! do far darker storylines as they have no sensorship to follow, creatures of beauty, flip flop, not to mention the hole 8th Doctor Charley story where the universe gets screwed over thanks to the Doctor saving someone he shouldn't. Heck, even last months monthly story from big finish, the secret history bought this point up again (quite appropriate sinse it saw the return of the meddling monk).

But not under moffat, because you know, the doctor is magic! or at least he is when his ever smug assistant pushes him into things.

Russel T davies occasionally got to the edge of this line, but at least he still had people die and bad things happen and on the few occasions he really! pushed the reset button (like the sound of drumbs), it had a point, hell sound of drumbs is so bloody dark it destroys one tenth of the earth's population!

Well not with Moffat, sinse now the universe is a shiny happy place where nothing bad ever happens! and really, this harms the hole series.
I like capaldy's doctor as the doctor, he's definitely got the presence and the brooding down, but really it just makes him look like a sad sack if all the time he's trying to be  dark and scottish but nothing bad ever happens  particularly sinse the impossibly smug and self satisfied girl is always pushing him around and never lets him actually be right, ---- really is the title of this series doctor who or the clara show?
Ultimately, however dark and scottish and dour Capaldy tries to be, there's no point him asking "Am I a good man?" if there is zero possibility of the answer ever being no, ever!

In fairness I will say I enjoyed both Jamy matheson episoes last series, mummy on th e orient express and Flatline, and I thought time heist had some possibilities as a time travel story with a very unique monster albeit I do wish it had a little more time in plot, so I will still watch new who in hopes it improves, I just seem to be more disappointed than not.

I have to say that's only part of what irritates  me with moffat and I could probably write for a long while on the subject, but I'll move on sinse people probably don't want another anti moffat rant from me and this one has gone on long enough already big_smile.

Suffice it to say that I now considder there to be only ten encarnations of the doctor, and yes the time war happened, and Paul Mcgan was in it big_smile.

Btw, I've actually this week been watching more classic who w ith my dad, some pertwee stories. The time warrior, Death to the Daleks and the green death. And I have to say, despite the wobbly sets and occasionally drawn out plots, just in terms of acting, dialogue and pure story moffat is no contest! and that's before we get into the Bf audios, which, even in their more dire moments are still absolutely awesome sauce! (I'm listening to the companion chronicles again at the moment).

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : lauren . downie96 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bcs993 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Cinnamon via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector