Re: Rule changes in developers room?

I agree with you moderators, -- whatever solves that problem is fine as far as I'm concerned. But here's what really got me ticked.

In post 1 of the "Ideal way of creating a map parser?" topic, Omar Alverado wrote,
Hello again.
This is something that I've been wondering about for a while.
Here is what I have theorized.
Ideally, I need to create a class/constructor.
I should, ideally, load the map into a file, and then deserialize it into a dictionary.
Here is where I get a little confused, in terms of logistics, not in terms of code ok, actually both.
I get that bgt has a dictionary.exists function. In theory, I could use that, to find my values set in my map file.
So let's say I have the ability to set the room's starting x (roomx), ending x (roommaxx), sound (roomsound), and type (roomtype) (footstep sounds) for now.
I could use the dictionary.exists function to find those values roomx, roommax x, roomsound, and roomtype, assuming those are the values I have defined in my roombuilding class.
What I don't know, is how I can get the engine to load the file nicely, in other words prevent the engine from creating a room, on top of a room.
Keep in mind this is all sudo code, so I actually haven't sat down to try putting it into bgt code.
If I did the engine would probably think I was trying to end the world lols.
Thanks for reading!

  This strongly emplys he is using bgt, ---- he says so. It's what he needs help in. Then, post 6 comes out of nowhere, written by Ctoth.

*drops a dead horse*
*pulls out a whip*
Ahem.
You know, if you used a higher level language, maybe even one inspired by a particular British comedy troop, a lot of this stuff becomes a simple matter of calling a library function that someone's already helpfully written for you.
Want to parse your map? Well, write it in YAML or a similar s erialized data structure format and just read it in, have stuff transparently and magically go where it belongs.
Want to use a physics engine? Go pick one and use it. Box2D is great and easy to use.
Want to see how to do something? Use the resources of the full sighted programming community, get access to StackOverflow, to millions of lines of code already written for you.
The time it takes to get up to speed in a mainstream language repays itself quickly, and then just keeps paying off.
In fact...
I feel pretty strongly about this, so why not put my actions behind my words?
If anyone wants to come to me with running BGT source code, I will help you port it to Python. I'm pretty busy during the day, but will mentor anyone who wants the help, and even directly help you port the code over an evening or two.

That in no way helps Omar. He needed help with BGT as he said. So while I agree with you guys that friendly debates should be allowed, it i s my personal belief that when someone asks a question about BGT, only to have another member jump all over them (and was that not a snarky, rude remark?), telling them to switch languages, that's waaaaaay too far. It's one thing to debate such issues, another to force someone into debating these issues. So again, if you need to know the source (or final source) of my frustration,
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=17061

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : aaron via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : samtupy1 via Audiogames-reflector