Re: Rule changes in developers room?

People can state their opinions as long as they don't do it divisively. That would preclude hostile thread takeovers. This is not dissimilar to the approach taken by sites such as StackOverflow (which is, of course, hardly free of this nonsense either). Having said this, I feel it's important to recognise that programming languages, like everything, have costs and benefits and it's not appropriate to exclude discussion of them.

Of course, ignoring only works if you have already concluded that the person you're ignoring is beyond reprieve. I don't say it's an ideal approach in an environment that is hoped to be friendly, but it is an option; if everybody did it, the trolls* would go away. In my opinion, it's a good idea to make a habit of it, both because it minimises the impact of flame wars and because it is a reality on other, more free-for-all forums and mailing lists that people don't know restraint or good manners.

* I am re luctant to use the word "Troll" in this context because merely being an impolite, grandstanding, self-obsessed and egotistical individual (and thereby being incapable of tolerance towards others) is not actually the same as a deliberate attempt to anger or inflame. But, if the cap fits ...

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : aaron via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Sebby via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : samtupy1 via Audiogames-reflector