highdudgeon Wrote:
> I have a new Lavry DAC - which, unlike benchmark, re-clocks incoming
> signal -- and I'm curious to see what the difference will be.  I do
> know that, with a CD player, the difference is night and day.-

? The Benchmark DAC1 reclocks. From what I've read it's one of the best
DACs around when it comes to jitter.

>From the reviews I've read the Benchmark and Lavry da2002 should be
able to go toe to toe (Stereophile has one I believe). Clearly the
Lavry will have a bit of an edge.

highdudgeon Wrote:
> Of course, the cost/benefit curve is rather steep...

That's always a good point.

Everything is always moving in the audio world, but I think the one
component you dont want to drop too much on (personally) is the DAC -
if only because the technology is advancing so quickly.

I friend of mine has a slightly older Meridian transport and DAC. I can
confidently put my SB2 and Benchmark (yes, and the SB2 solo) up against
it. In a couple of years I fully expect a DAC that blows the Benchmark
away for half the price.

So with that in mind the Benchmark was the right performance/price
tradeoff for me at the moment.

If was in the position of having a SB2/3 and a few grand budget, I'd
certainly drop all that into the amp and speakers. Once you get into
the 10k mark I think an external DAC starts to become relevant.

I'm not keen on arbitrary rules of thumb, but I guess all this means it
that I believe a DAC should be around 10-15% of a total system.

--
jhwilliams