On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 15:22 -0800, jhwilliams wrote:
> highdudgeon Wrote:
> > I have a new Lavry DAC - which, unlike benchmark, re-clocks incoming
> > signal -- and I'm curious to see what the difference will be.  I do
> > know that, with a CD player, the difference is night and day.-
>
> The Benchmark DAC1 reclocks. From what I've read it's one of the best
> DACs around when it comes to jitter.

Benchmark says that their system is immune from jitter. But
I'm not smart enough to know if that is just marketing or
backed up by engineering.

> >From the reviews I've read the Benchmark and Lavry da2002 should be
> able to go toe to toe (Stereophile has one I believe). Clearly the
> Lavry will have a bit of an edge.

At these price points, personal taste is a big deal.

> I friend of mine has a slightly older Meridian transport and DAC. I can
> confidently put my SB2 and Benchmark (yes, and the SB2 solo) up against
> it. In a couple of years I fully expect a DAC that blows the Benchmark
> away for half the price.

You are way too conservative. In a couple of years, the SB5 will include
that DAC. The SB2 is a big improvement from the olden days.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html