I use a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC, and have a/b'd an unmodified
SB3 against the DAC and a Pioneer Elite PD-S95 transport. I actually
bought 2 SB3's; one to modify and one to place downstairs so the wife
can listen.

I think the sound of the stock SB3 into my system is good, but not as
exceptional as the separate transport and DAC combo, which yields much
more resolution, depth, and "air". Swapping the transport with the SB3
shows that the Pioneer still has an edge, but the difference is closer,
and a stock SB3 into the external DAC is really nice. I presume the
difference is probably less to do with the DAC and more to do with the
tube analog section of my Tri-Vista (plus its awesome regulated power
supply).

I am awaiting the Bolder Cable digital mod and power supply, and will
A/B the two SB3's. My experience with Bolder mods previously (using an
Art DIO)is that the power supply does make a big difference.

See my music server blog at http://musicserver.blogspot.com for details
of my current setup (Merlin TSM/REL Strata III, fed by a VAC Avatar SE,
cabled by Acoustic Zen, and AC'd by Foundation Research).

--
davehg