On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 22:22 -0800, Brad Smith wrote:
> I want to jump in here with a more beginner level question...

Beginners always welcome. But be warned, this can be an adiction

> when you
> are referring to an external DAC, I assume you mean using the optical
> out to process it by another device, such as a receiver.

When audiophiles talk about an external DAC, they mean an external box
that just does Digial to Analog Conversion. Whether the optical or SPDIF
wire is used is a separate issue.

It usually does not mean a receiver, at least a mass market receiver.
An example of a mass market receiver is the Sony that I use in my
home theater. It does audio and video switching, converts AC3 using
an optical link to 5.1, and includes 6 channels of 70 watt
amplification. It cost about $400. The DAC in such a box is aimed
at voices in dialog, some background music and wild explosions.
Audiophile level quality is not in the design criteria.

An audiophile DAC example is a Benchmark DAC-1, it costs $1000.
You put digial in, and get stereo audio out.

With it, you still need an amplifier.

HTH

--
Pat