Phil Leigh;633549 Wrote:
> The standard advice should be to set your NIC to PLAIN "autonegotiate"
> (this will be the default setting - leave it alone!). Do not try and
> force it to any other setting. Any NIC which does not function
> correctly on that setting is BROKEN.
And sadly, I confirm the NVidia nic IS broken, not physical, but the XP
drivers. I have a Cat6 1GB wired network at home, and had a self-built
Windows Homeserver on it (1st version, so Windows Server 2003-based,
same codebase as XP). Setting the NIC to full autonegotiation would
result in the server "disappearing" from the network completely after
some time. I had to disable checksum offload and set it to autoneg for
100FD to make it stay visible, but that resulted in an inability to
stream more than 1 Blu-Ray rip simultaneously, so it wasn't acceptable.
I've since upgraded to Windows Server 2008 R2 (same codebase as Windows
7) and the server is now quite happily woking at full autonegotiation,
allowing my three kids to watch whatever movies they want, while I'm
happily listening to my music :D

--
bakker_be

http://www.last.fm/user/Bakker_be
Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; ' TMA Premium 905'
(http://tmaaudio.com/premium905.html); BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart
D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H