Chrobrego wrote:
> Not to deviate from the original debate but just to mention the
> complexity of the HiFi sound capture and reproduction, I would avoid the
> expression "bit-perfect" but rather call it "bit-unperfect". Bit is
> digital - not real - world and already translates irremediable sound
> alteration that truncates the signal as the result of the quantification
> applied during PCM conversion.

Except that wasn't what the original discussion was about. Check the
first post - the letter writer in TAS claimed to start with a lossless
format file, converted it to a different lossless format file and heard
differences between the two. That's all digital realm. The analog to
digital conversion had already happened.