In doing this we can see if there is any significant preference among
respondents!

I want to know, EVEN with this amount of (pre-)ringing, whether
suppression with the minimum phase setting actually results in a
significant difference detected.

1. Is there significant *preference* in a naturalistic sample for one
setting vs. another?

2. Are listeners able to consistently "prefer" one variety over another
among the 3 samples? Ie. They keep preferring the same type of filter?
How many of these potential "golden ears" are there? Of course it's also
possible that the folks with these *systems* are particularly
susceptible to high frequency nonlinearities.

3. Can we detect cohort effect among musicians, production folks, and
even audio reviewers? I have been told for example that musicians and
those who record and produce music may be able to detect the differences
better...

In any event, the filter effect is clear. Trading strong pre-ringing at
22kHz for high frequency phase shift. Is there an audible difference and
can some people consistently tell?

We can deal with the idea of suppressing ringing and such in a future
test. One variable at a time :-).

BTW: I resample with these steep filters all the time. So I have vested
interest in changing how I do things based on the results!

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.