pablolie wrote:
> I remember the days when they would print -in the back of quite a few
> CDs- whether it was DDD, ADD or AAD. I don't think I ever saw vinyl
> stating whether it was "ADA" or something like that... :-D But I have to
> admit my vinyl days were over as soon as CDs came out, and that I
> digitized my vinyl collection as soon as some home digitization became
> possible.
>
> ...p

Some of the best sounding vinyl I had was digitally mastered. Most new
vinyl is made from CDs but nobody ever talks about what amplifier runs
the cutting heads. In the old days the best vinyl was cut using McIntosh
250 watt tube amps. Still, like you if there is no digital version I
would at least digitize the vinyl which is better than nothing. I
preferred the carefully mastered high quality DDD cds. At first they
simply threw the analog masters that were mastered for vinyl onto CD and
they sounded bright and harsh. Few people can appreciate just how well
pure digital can sound if done properly. Some still think digital is not
continuous and analog is. There are no gaps. There was an episode of
Ghost whisperer where they propped up this myth by giving the boy a
turntable and he said, "wow, it does sound better". The mom of the
character said, "that's because it's continuous". I almost screamed and
wrote an angry letter to the writer. I'm amazed at how misunderstood
digital audio is by even people who should know better by their
background. By the same token I would never return to analog TV or
video. The codecs are just getting too good and efficient.