cliveb wrote:
> Well - yes, it does sound like a rant.
> And while most of your points are basically true, it seems a bit like a
> stream of consciousness diatribe.
> To a non-believer, it will sound like a bunch of opinions stated as
> fact, and that's not going to convince anyone.
>
> Fair enough.

I'd like to address a few points.

cliveb wrote:

> For an in-depth explanation of the reasons why (and lots of other
> digital audio fundamental truths), see Monty's excellent video:
> https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml - this is the sort of hard evidence
> you need to present to people who believe otherwise.

I've seen this but should have linked it since it clears up many
misunderstandings and myths.

cliveb wrote:

> Your screen shot showing the clipping is from Audacity, which is known
> to have a flawed clipping detection algorithm. PCM samples of N bits
> range in value from -(2^(n-1)) to +(2^(n-1)-1). A solitary sample at
> -(2^(n-1)) is NOT necessarily a clip, but Audacity will tell you it is.
> I'm not saying that the Dead Can Dance file doesn't have clipping, but
> the Audacity screen shot is not proof that it does.

Yes, I just tried that same file using Ocenaudio and while it does not
give a visual it did list dozens of clipped areas, over 40 on the right
channel but I am open to more tools as I find them.

cliveb wrote:

> I sincerely hope that is a typo and you meant to say 10ns!

Maybe should have but in the last ten years I have spent a good deal of
time with VOIP and what affects MOS (Mean Opinion Score) and it's not
critiqued in the ns, most equipment has an adaptive jitter buffer which
will add delay if it becomes large since you are buffering 20ms or more
in extreme cases, only the best trained listeners can notice a delay
under 200ms though but this is for another topic in another forum.

cliveb wrote:

> Indeed they have:
>
> Benjamin & Gannon.
> Theoretical and audible effects of jitter on digital audio quality.
> 105th AES Convention, 1998
> Jitter added to digital signal between transport and DAC with a
> hardware device.
> Conclusions: uncorrelated jitter inaudible below 10nS rms on pure
> tones; uncorrelated jitter inaudible below 20nS rms on music signal
>
> Ashihara, Kiryu et al.
> Detection threshold for distortions due to jitter on digital audio.
> Acoust. Sci. & Tech. 26, 1 (2005)
> Jitter simulated in the digital domain.
> Conclusions: uncorrelated jitter inaudible below 250nS on music
> signal.

Ok now I see why you thought nanoseconds should have been mentioned by
me, this is very interesting indeed! Thanks!