Hi,

A very interesting read, thank you to everyone who's clearly put time
and thought into the research.

A couple of questions from my rather naive (and very computer science
orientated background). I ripped my CD collection to FLAC many years ago
using Max on a Mac (http://sbooth.org/Max/). I can't remember the exact
settings, but would have probably been very close to the defaults as
shipped with the application. My understanding being the software
digitally extracted the 1s and 0s from the CD and then converted these
to a FLAC file. In such a setup, how can you produce a bad FLAC version
with clipping not present on the original as mentioned by Davesworld?

Secondly, where do people recomend downloading lossless files from if
not HDTracks? Is 7digital regarded as a better source (I'm mainly
thinking about new releases as opposed to old recordings re-issued for
the digital age).

Cheers

LMS Server: Mac Mini with music library on Drobo 5D
Living Room: Raspberry Pi + AlloBoss -> Onkyo A 9010 -> KEF LS50
Study: Raspberry Pi -> Audio Engine D1 -> Audio Addon Pro T3
Kitchen: Squeezebox Radio
Bedroom: SB3 -> B&W Zeppelin