There's nothing wrong with digital VC per se, if correctly implemented
(low distortion and dithered). It's possible to meet both requirements
with SoX.

There's a third requirement, that the attenuation is moderate. I'll
discuss this toward the end!

With several popular DACs, the ASRC and upsampling stages NEED digital
headroom with highly dynamically compressed music i.e. most modern
music!
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98661-Some-observations-about-the-Benchmark-DAC1&p=747509&viewfull=1#post747509

With these DACs, you simply won't be able to enjoy modern recordings to
the same level without doing this. Here's a visualisation of the
difference on a modern recording:
https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/some-observations-about-the-benchmark-dac1.137152/#post-1990168

People with smart phones, sound bars, mini/micro-systems etc. are
actually better off in this way, because digital VC is built into these
devices. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a big part of many
audiophiles' complaints of modern recordings. Obviously there's damage
done by dynamic compression that can't be fixed, but why add extra
damage unnecessarily?

Many DACs these days are hot via XLR - 4VRMS, some higher - and this
leads to excessive digital attenuation. Which is bad. Or necessitating
the use of XLR attenuators, which I would argue is also bad. But Weiss
have the ideal approach with a mixture of reference voltage adjustment
in the analogue domain for coarse adjustment - so the XLR output level
can be adjusted to 2VRMS (typical RCA output level) or even 1VRMS -
followed by dithered digital volume control. All this without need for
XLR attenuators. Also dCS do well in this regard. So I'd say digital
volume control brings many more benefits than downsides as long as the
attenuation is moderate - and the problem is the design of many DACs
with too high an output level.

The reason the output levels are creeping up is that it makes it easier
to achieve a better SNR/THD+N measurement, which people slavishly follow
e.g. on ASR. It's a pity manufacturers are chasing one number to the
substantial detriment of certain use cases e.g. using the DAC
preamp-less.

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch