Michael Towers:
> Could it be that there is a difference in regard to this in pivot_root
> and switch_root? I haven't used root aufs for a while so I'm not sure
> exactly what code I used but I don't remember using mount --move and I
> don't remember any problems.

In the case of pivot_root, you can still see the contents of old root
which is the second parameter of pivot_root.
In switch_root, which is basically equivalent to
        mount(".", "/", NULL, MS_MOVE, NULL)
        chroot(".")
you can't see the contents of old root dir unless you move or copy them
before switch_root. You can access the aufs branch filesystems if you
mount --move them into under new root.
If you don't need accessing branches manually after switch_root, you
don't have move them. Aufs can access them if you don't move.

Junjiro Okajima