On Sep 21, 2016, at 10:38 AM, Mike Borgelt <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com>
wrote:

> Oh, yes,  they are just machines. Inanimate objects.

When I acquired the RV, my partner almost immediately anthropomorphized it: Its
rego is SOL, so, of course, its name needs to be “Solly.” The fairings on the
wheels (spats or pants, depending on whether you’re anglo or American) became
Solly’s shoes. Everyone gets upset if you stand on his shoes.

When I installed the autopilot a couple of years ago, she christened it,
“Barry.”

So now we climb aboard Solly and let Barry do the flying.

Traditionally boats and airplanes have been feminine, but she went in a
different direction, which I thought was a bit interesting.

   - mark