Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 13:20:51 +1100
From: Matthew Gage <m...@knightschallenge.com>
To: Aus Soaring <aus-soaring@lists.base64.com.au>
Subject: [Aus-soaring] New weather prediction site for Victoria and
        Tasmania

Thanks to the VSA for providing funding for a server, we now have a new
Soaring Forecast site for Victoria and Tasmania.

It?s available at:
        http://vicmet.knightschallenge.com/VIC
        http://vicmet.knightschallenge.com/TAS

For those interested in details, this is closely related to RASP.

Instead of using WRF version 2 for generating the core model, this is using
version 3.8.1 (from August 2016) and intend to upgrade every 6 months as a
new version is released. This hopefully should prevent the predictions
becoming less and less accurate over time.

The images are created using the existing DrJack RASP software. These are
overlaid on google maps using software based on that created by Paul Scorer
in the UK.

New forecasts are created twice each day for 6 days. The first 2 days are at
a very high resolution (good for wave, etc), the following 4 days are at a
lower resolution (but still higher than the previous RASP). Today?s forecast
should be ready by about 7:30am and in the evening, Tomorrow?s forecast
should be ready by 7:30pm.

The server will keep about 100 days of historical forecasts, depending on
available disk space.

Matt Gage

These are also available from the following urls, which are better to use if
possible:
        http://vicmet.gliding.asn.au/VIC/
<http://vicmet.gliding.asn.au/VIC/>
        http://vicmet.gliding.asn.au/TAS/
<http://vicmet.gliding.asn.au/TAS/>

Database: 4664/13206 - Release Date: 10/13/16