> I doubt there is any training value at all in 400 to 500 feet.

I believe that there is some training value in such a flight:

The ability to fly and manoevure confidently at low level without getting
ground fright. (i.e. if I had the option to do a low level circuit for a safe
landing on field after a rope break, that would my first option).

Also low level flight is experience with ridge flying too.

Also in still wind conditions, a 180 degree turn can be considered.

Such manoevures need to be demonstrated at altitude, i.e. demonstrate a 180
degree change of heading with minimum height loss, in a Grob G103, banked at 60
degrees,  60 knots airspeed, in still air, height loss in a 180 degree turn is
150', with a diameter of the turn of 120m

Obviously needs to be done with a proper briefing, exercise at altitude,
exercise at 400' to 500' AGL, post flight de-brief.

The plane doesn't know how far it is above the ground.

My 2.2c worth