Further to this email, I have just remembered the last quite experienced pilot that I pulled the bung on at 400'. He attempted to turn with the nose above the horizon which I stopped, and then proceeeded to become indecisive and I had to take over as the option he was going to take could have put us into the fence at the end of the cross-strip. His pre-take-off checks were impeccable but when it came to the real thing, he was out of his depth.

At the subsequent de-briefing when I asked him why he was going to turn with the nose above the horizon, he said: "but we had 60 knots on the clock!". He had forgotten about inertia and airspeed indicator lag and that a steep turn in a climbing vector can quickly become a stall turn if not executed precisely. The last time he had performed a low level rope break was seven (7) years previously.

We had another "normal" check flight that he passed, and he thanked me for "waking him up" from his complacency.

PeterS

Peter Stephenson wrote:
I agree with MT as well. As an instructor, I only ever pull the bung if I am absolutely confident that I can handle the emergency if the student/pilot-on-check stuffs up or takes a poor option. My hand is almost on the stick to prevent an error.

It is never below 300' AGL unless I can land ahead.
Prior to being an instructor, I was always disappointed when the annual check instructor did *not* pull a low level release because I was confident that I could do them but was never tested. I have had an AEI ask to practice a 300' release in a strong wind, as he felt the same.

Recently at Caboolture we had a power pilot who lost power on take off at a very low height and he just pushed the nose forward and pancaked his beautifully restored aircraft. Obviously he had a habit of "hanging on the prop" on take off and learned the hard way.

PeterS

Texler, Michael wrote:
I doubt there is any training value at all in 400 to 500 feet.

I believe that there is some training value in such a flight:

The ability to fly and manoevure confidently at low level without getting
ground fright. (i.e. if I had the option to do a low level circuit for a safe
landing on field after a rope break, that would my first option).

Also low level flight is experience with ridge flying too.

Also in still wind conditions, a 180 degree turn can be considered.

Such manoevures need to be demonstrated at altitude, i.e. demonstrate a 180
degree change of heading with minimum height loss, in a Grob G103, banked at 60
degrees,  60 knots airspeed, in still air, height loss in a 180 degree turn is
150', with a diameter of the turn of 120m

Obviously needs to be done with a proper briefing, exercise at altitude,
exercise at 400' to 500' AGL, post flight de-brief.

The plane doesn't know how far it is above the ground.

My 2.2c worth