Robert,

What you are saying is just not correct. You should know better than try and
justify this charge on the basis that its being paid by people other than GFA
members.

The price charged intro flights is inelastic - you just can't raise it by $20.
The money comes straight out of clubs pockets. there is some justification for
$20 when the extra days cover is utilised. Perhaps near metropolitan clubs able
to charge +$100 can afford it. For winch launch clubs it is a charge of $120
per hour based on 10 minute flights and is a huge disincentive for those clubs
offering low cost intro flights hoping to win new members. The increase from $5
for struggling clubs is obscene and will in the end be counterproductive to
membership.

I expect clubs may well jeopardize their insurance cover by exaggerating the
family and friends category.

The charge in respect of single flights, particularly for winch launches needs
to be reconsidered.

My own club, Lake Keepit Soaring Club has suffered a reversal of fortunes and
has traded at a loss for the last couple of years. It costs members from the
coast no less than $130 for fuel alone to drive to LK.Unlike clubs fortunate
who have a council supported airfield, we lease and maintain our site at a cost
of over $15,000 pa. Likewise to offer a full time operation we employ a mid
week manager. My hope is that we can attract  more members living closer but
price will always be a problem.I am building a new powerful winch which will be
trialling Dyneema at my own expense to reduce launch and training costs in the
hope that this will make gliding affordable for a wider range of socio economic
groups

I would have no problem lopping $50,000 off GFA expenditure. Might lose a few
friends but its about time the GFA looked critically at how its discretionary
surplus income is spent,

Harry Medlicott