I think when it comes to retention, areas like the Air Training Corps are
sorely overlooked.

They (NSW) run approximately 4-6 courses a year, with about 15-25 students
per course. I'm not sure about other states. Here we have a large amount of
flying-crazy youngsters, and barely any of them join clubs after that. I
learnt to fly with the AIRTC, and I think the amount of people I know still
gliding from from the last 8 years of AIRTC camps, you could count them on
your hands.

Mind you, I'm not sure where kink in the chain comes from there. I'm sure
efforts have been made to engage the AIRTC to encourage their students to
join clubs after they leave the cadets. What I'd like to know is why this is
falling down. Does anyone know? The junior gliding movement in Australia is
slowly gathering momentum, however we can see this huge group of
flying-obsessed youngsters but can't figure out why we don't hear from them!

If anyone from the AIRTC group reads this and wants to contact me offline,
please do! If there's anything we youngin's can do to get more interested in
the sport, let us know!

Gus