  From: ec...@internode.on.net
  To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
  Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:09 PM
  Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] rigging controls checks (Foka etc)

  Mike and others

  Please let me help by providing some background information.

  Soon after the duplicate inspection was introduced I discussed the
  issue with a senior GFA airworthiness person and voiced my concern
  about this new requirement.
  The GFA acted on my approach. About a year later I was asked
  to attend one of the annual RTO (A) meetings in Melbourne where this
  topic was high on the agenda. In an introduction the chairman pointed
  out that CASA wanted GFA to apply standard GA procedures and
  amend their documentation accordingly. GFA decided to comply with
  the CASA request.
  In a nutshell, this is how the issue evolved.

  In my presentation I focused primarily on the operational problems but
  also raised some of the issues already discussed here. The legal
  implications were only just touched on at the time.
  The meeting felt that the duplicate inspection was especially troublesome
  for pilots who want to operate their self launching gliders on their own and
  away from an established gliding infrastructure.

  I then proposed a solution. It was deemed workable and was subsequently
  adopted. The meeting proceeded to draft a change to the regulations but
  I'm unable to say where the issue got bogged.

  Kind regards to all

  Bernard Eckey