>>Actually they did invent one thing. The three axis control system. Unlike
>>their popular success - powered flight, the 3 axis system was invented by
>>them a year earlier. The modern 3 axis has one variation on their patent, it
>>uses ailerons instead of warping the wings.

I think you are right there, but oddly they only invented conecting
the rudder to the wing warping so that they could fly straight in the
variable winds at Kittyhawk. Wing warping produced heaps of adverse
yaw so they put on a rudder and connected it to the wing warping
mechanism to allow them to fly in a straight line. Wing warping
itself, ailerons, rudders etc. were either invented or patented by
others so it's questionable to say whether this was prior art or not
:-)

I love Pearse supporters. The only small point where he appeared to
fail in mastering sustained controllable powered flight was the
control part. Did he ever not land in a tree or complete his flight in
any other way than a crash?

As glider pilots, we should avoid the lot and support Lillienthal
because all the motorise aeroplanes would eventually run out of gas
while, given the right conditions, Lillienthal could have soared for
days.