Just saw the 60 Minutes program on the Air France A330 crash in the Atlantic
a few years ago. Unbelievable.

The aircraft is in cruise on Auto pilot, flying through storms over the
Equator at around 35,00ft. Three of the Pitot's ice up momentarily and the
Auto pilot shuts off.

PIC takes manual control and pulls the stick fully aft.....  we don't know
why.

Obvious result, the aircraft climbs and at 40,000ft with full PAX and heavy
fuel load the Airbus stalls. Aural warning "Stall Stall Stall"

So what do you think the pilot did?

Obviously full power, stick forward, recover to level flight, reduce power
right?

Uh Uh.

He maintains full aft stick and current power setting. Try's to figure out
why the computer has got it all so wrong.  While the PIC maintains full aft
stick, the aircraft is fully stalled and dropping like a stone until at
4,000ft P2 takes over, at which point the Ground Proximity Warning sounds,
"Pull Up, Pull Up", so he , yes you guessed it, pulled back on the stick.
End of the flight.

As glider pilots we are trained to recognise and correct an aerodynamic
stall, if you are pushing things in a tight and gnarly thermal stalling is a
constant issue and we deal with it automatically. Stall and spin recovery
training is a fundamental of our flight training.  It is therefore
staggering to me that the people who are trained to fly these incredibly
complex aircraft such as the A330 do not actually know how to fly.....

Well, not universally true, Tom knows how to fly, WPP knows how to fly, Capt
Sullenberg, Peter De Crespigny and the guy who landed the "Gimli Glider"
know how to fly, but guess what they were/are all glider pilots.

So next time you get into an airliner cross your fingers the guy up front
learnt to fly gliders first!!

ROSS