My understanding was that the official turn point list was now the file
supplied by the organisers anyway. This is usually a small subset of the local
database without points close together.

Even with a lack of multiple points in the same location, there is scope for
confusion. I am aware of someone entering COONAMBLE into a task instead of
COONABARABRAN as the device only showed the first 6 characters ! And then they
flew the wrong task.

From experience, entering a task using the numbers is far quicker and far less
error prone, particularly if having to do it in the air (after my oudie crashed
and lost the task), which means less time with head in the cockpit !

As far as getting an idea of what the task is, that is available from the task
sheet and by drawing it on a map.

Remember, the task is for the benefit of the competitors. The fact that any of
us looking from home, work, etc can see what they are doing is a bonus. We
should NEVER look to define tasks for the benefit of "spectators" ahead of the
competitors.

I was actually opposed to this change until I got to use the new names

Matt