On 23 February 2010 21:29, Tony Wright <ton...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>  My understanding is that the base load problem has been solved, it’s just
> that there’s no political will to accept it. That is, there is too much
> vested interest in the alternatives and a lot of money spent by some very
> powerful groups to promote the status quo, as that’s where they make their
> money.
> http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/thinktanks-take-oil-money-and-use-it-to-fund-climate-deniers-1891747.html
>

> “There are plants in Spain operating with energy storage right now,
> providing electricity all night long”
>
> http://www.beyondzeroemissions.org/

Are they running industry?  Like aluminium smelters?  If the rest of the
world wants aluminium, Oz get to produce a lot of it.  Which will make our
per capita figures look bad.  Carbon credits loaded onto the cost of the
aluminium produced would make it look better, but wouldn't change the
overall carbon.  Nuclear production of the electricity needed to smelt the
aluminium would change it dramatically.

> And you don’t need to go nuclear. Nuclear as it currently stands is just a
> disgraceful option. The radioactive waste in current nuclear reactors with
> current technology takes 10,000 years to break down.

That would be excluding IFR reactors?  Why exclude the best technology when
you quote figures?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor>
 Even more comprehensive are systems such as the Integral Fast
Reactor<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_Fast_Reactor> (IFR)
pyroprocessing system, which uses pools of molten
cadmium<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium> and
electrorefiners to reprocess metallic fuel directly on-site at the reactor.[
9] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor#cite_note-8> Such systems
not only commingle all the minor actinides with both uranium and plutonium,
they are compact and self-contained, so that no plutonium-containing
material ever needs to be transported away from the site of the breeder
reactor.

10,000 years ago, mankind was living in caves. Nuclear is obviously the
> politically easy option. And it would take at least a decade to fire up a
> nuclear reactor anyway. By that time there would be monumental advances in
> cleaner technologies. And as for “managing” nuclear – name me a politician
> that you believe can manage that portfolio and I’ll name ten more that I
> wouldn’t trust if my life depended on it. Oh wait, it does.

Your life depends on slowing down and reversing the greenhouse effect.
 That's a short to medium term issue.  Arguing against nuclear just
postpones the start time for firing up a nuclear reactor.  If we start
building now, we'll have them by 2020, your figure.  If we wait, then add
the wait time to that.  If we build IFRs, then we'll have the lowest waste
reactors around.

--
Meski

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure, you'll
get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills

<<image001.gif>>