From: AusNOG [mailto:ausnog-boun...@lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Chad Kelly
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:54 PM
To: ausnog@lists.ausnog.net; ausnog-requ...@lists.ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] NextDC Melbourne - Scheduled Power Maintenance -, 15th
August

On 8/10/2017 10:13 AM, ausnog-requ...@lists.ausnog.net wrote:
>  From the latest update today, It appears that most of the works are
> being postponed for the time being
>
> Not all devices within racks support 2 feeds and planning is involved
> with these devices, which is why it is crucial to receive accurate
> information about any pending outages or upgrades to the NextDC DataCentres
> which affect services.
If these services are mission critical then you really should have duel PSU
units, so that when one feed gets taken offline the equipment automatically
switches to the other feed. They won't just disconnect both feeds at once
because that would be stupid and if the entire DC was offline for too much time
then that would put the owners in a rather awkward situation legally, as after
say 8 or 10 hours of downtime it wouldn't be good for the owners lets put it
that way.
If the single PSU units are a part of a customers co-located equipment then
really your terms of service agreement should exclude liability under your
maintenance clauses.
I don't understand why anyone would be using single PSU equipment in a DC
environment now a days when you can buy refurbished servers that come with two
PSU as standard even when you buy them without raid.
Also for anything that is really really mission critical you should have it
hosted in multiple datacentres anyway so if something stupid does happen that
you can't control you at least still have services online as the load balanced
services would just switch.
Regards Chad.

--
Chad Kelly