On 5/16/17 6:33 AM, Robert Elz wrote:

> If we start having shell parsing differently depending on what locale the
> user happens to be using, we may as well all give up now, and go find
> something else to do.

Too late:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_03

7. If the current character is an unquoted <blank>, any token containing
the previous character is delimited and the current character shall be
discarded.

<blank> is locale-dependent:

3.74 Blank Character (<blank>)

One of the characters that belong to the blank character class as defined
via the LC_CTYPE category in the current locale. In the POSIX locale, a

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    c...@case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/