Stephane CHAZELAS <stephane.chaze...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2017-05-24 17:21:33 +0200, Joerg Schilling:

> > Do you have a pointer to the POSIX text that forbids a subshell in this
> > case
> > when stdin is redirected?
> [...]
>
> I don't know if you'll find some text that *explicitly* forbids
> it to run in a subshell, but you won't find text that *allows*
> it (just like you won't see text that allows { a=2; } alone to
> run in a subshell environment)
>
> On the other hand, you'll find text that explicitely allows it
> to run in a subshell environment in:
>
> { a=2; } | cmd
>
> cmd | { a=2; }
>
> (even though for the latter, many shells don't run it in a
> subshell environment).

Given that I planned a related change since ~2 years, I now implemented an
enhancement to the parser and to this did even result in an aprox. speedup of 2%
with my "configure" performance test.

The Bourne Shell now auto-exports imported variables when it starts up un POSIX
mode.

Multiple non-space IFS characters now result in empty arguments.

The new schilytools bundle is here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/schilytools/files/schily-2017-05-29.tar.bz2

Jörg

--