Stephane Chazelas <stephane.chaze...@gmail.com> wrote, on 07 Jun 2017:

> Do you have an opinion on whether POSIX should allow the
> expansion of globs not to include "." and ".." by default?

It's already optional, in a way, as a consequence of it being
optional whether "." and ".." are present in the directory.
However, I think currently if other utilities' behaviour shows
that they are present (e.g. "ls -f ." and "ls -a ." output entries
for them) then pathname expansion of .* must include them.

I would not object to decoupling these so that expanding .* can
omit "." and ".." even if they are present in the directory.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England