Stephane CHAZELAS <stephane.chaze...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2017-06-16 16:19:27 +0000, Austin Group Bug Tracker:
> [...]
> > In
> >         a=a; a=x b=$a
> > it is explicitly unspecified whether b=a or b=x at
> > the conclusion.  It would be astounding if there was
> > to be a stricter requirement for $?
> [...]
>
> Is it really?
>
> I do remember it was discussed some time ago and the outcome was
> that $b should be x. It was reported to "dash" (as a POSIX
> conformance bug) and despite initial reticence, dash was changed
> so as to perform assignments left to right (as anybody would
> expect).

The historic Bourne Shell made a list of macro assignments be executed right to
left which is against common sense.

I am not sure whether POSIX requires a specific order. I changed the execution
order in bosh to be left to right long ago.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
    joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/