I thought we touched upon this also in discussing adding $'...', with the
resolution the arguments were WORDs in the grammatical sense and to be
scanned  that way with regards to quoting. This would supercede that clause in
221, as  the standard choosing between conflicting interpretations instead of
leaving it  unspecified.

In a message dated 6/20/2017 9:37:42 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
g...@opengroup.org writes:

Joerg  Schilling <joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote, on 20 Jun
2017:

> I would like to get a confirmation on how this  expression:
>
>     "${xxx-"a b c"}"
>
>  is to be understood.

This was discussed when we worked on bug 221, and  is made explicitly
unspecified by the resolution of that bug (to be applied  in Issue 8).

See  http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=221#c399

--
Geoff Clare  <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road,  Reading, RG1 1AX, England