Date:        Tue, 15 May 2018 18:42:29 -0400
    From:        Shware Systems <shwares...@aol.com>

  | That locale would define a latindigs charclass, same as Venusians are requi=
  | red to define a vdigits for theirs, and it's up to the application to do th=
  | e equivalences to 1, 5, 10, 50, etc. in a latinstr2ull() routine.

That would be unworkable - it would mean that every application would need to
know the details of every locale that could possibly be used.

Eg: consider an application looking for copyright strings in files (I can't
type the c in a circle so I will use (c)).   That is, a (c) and a year (or
a sequence of years perhaps), matching

        (c) [[:digit:]]+

would be easy, but you say it alao has to look for

        (c) [[:latindigs:]]+
        (c) [[:vdigits:]]+

(and how many more)?   This is actualy kind of important, as

        (c) MMXVI

type strings are not uncommon in certain environments (can't recall
ever seeing one written in Venusian though...)

It gets worse if it is accepted that [:unknown:] is undefined/unspecified
rather than just "no match" - then the code actually has to adapt itself
to the locale that is actually in use, rather than simply covering all known
locales.