Hi all,

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 11:01 PM, Robert Elz <k...@munnari.oz.au> wrote:
> | The chance of this happening in the future, when it has not happened
> | so far, is vanishingly small.
>
> I agree that it would be very rare, which is exactly why now, it doesn't
> really matter which way it gets defined. But I'm sue you've run into
> users who just love to push the envelope and do the wierdest things,
> which no-one had ever attempted before - having good, clear, definitions
> helps avoid problems in those cases.
>
> | We'll see how it goes. It took a #define and three lines of code.
>
> Great, thanks, and yes, that's just about the same as it took me .. define
> a new flag, set it appropriately (from pipefail) when creating the job, and
> then use that rather than the pipefail opt value when collecting the status.
>
> Boringly simple, and, as above, really unlikely to bother any current users,
> and makes for a much more predictable outcome when someone does decide
> to do something bizarre.
>
> kre

I'd like to bump this thread: are there any news about this?

I think leaving this unspecified is reasonable, at least as a first step. If
not, has anybody a list of shells we need to update to comply with the new
desired behaviour? Maybe someone already talked about this on the bash mailing
list?

Thanks,

--
Simon Ser