On 14/01/2019 05:59, Martijn Dekker wrote:
I'm frankly astonished that there seems to be a growing consensus to
de-specify this long-standing type of alias usage. Please, reconsider.

The interpretation given in <http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=953>, as I understand it, is that aliases are specified vaguely enough that your aliases are already not guaranteed to work, and that the rewording is an attempt to specify the uses that are known to work the same way on all shells, while leaving the uses that are not known to work unspecified.

Can there be an alternative rewording that specifies the behaviour in even more cases, where the resulting text is still both correct and understandable, and the extra cases are verified to work the same way on all current shells? If there is, I suspect that coming up with that wording is the approach most likely to get the result you are after (which I would like to see myself as well, even though I do not feel as strongly about it as you).

Cheers,
Harald van Dijk