On 01/02/2019 09:56, Robert Elz wrote:
     Date:        Fri, 1 Feb 2019 08:00:16 +0000
     From:        Harald van Dijk <a...@gigawatt.nl>

   | I was referring to the second token on the second line, which is foo,
   | not foo=bar.

Oh, sorry, I was in too much of a rush this morning, and did not
read all that carefully (or really, at all...)

For that I might, if some different wording to what is currently
proposed is needed, use something like:

        * the TOKEN is the first token observed, or follows other
          tokens which would allow this TOKEN to become the command
          word of a simple command [xref], should the (unrecognised
          yet) following tokens (if any) allow the token sequence
          to be parsed that way, but regardless of what tokens follow.

That does not look right: this bullet point is the one that requires shells to not perform alias substitution on reserved words (since they would not be parsed as the command name word of a simple command). Your proposed wording makes this conditional on whether or not the token is the first in the input stream.

Cheers,
Harald van Dijk