Op 07-08-19 om 11:09 schreef Joerg Schilling:
Martijn Dekker <mart...@inlv.org> wrote:

So it appears that every current shell is broken in the same way, except
the two that can claim a direct lineage to the original Bourne shell.

Which is interesting because the obsolete Bourne shell on Solaris 10
(/bin/sh) does not seem to support job control at all.

This is not correct.

The Bourne Shell supports jobcontrol since at least 1988. I guess the code has
been written at a similar time as ksh88 got jobcontrol.

If you like to use jobcontrol in the Bourne Shell, you however need to either
call "set -m" or call "jsh" (a link to sh) in order to get jobcontrol enabled
by default - see man page...

Thanks for the correction. Sorry, didn't have time to RTFM.

After 'set -m' I cannot get /bin/sh on Solaris 10.1 to interrupt the 'sleep' command with ^Z, so I can't easily test whether Geoff's test case works correctly there.

In general, I believe that we should not make inventions but rather start a
discussion that ends in fixed to various shells and later standardize something
that has been verified to be working.

FWIW, I agree.

- M.

--