Date:        Sat, 9 May 2020 14:41:33 +0000 (UTC)
    From:        shwaresyst <shwares...@aol.com>

  | His 'not necessarily' refers to PATH resolutions, with respect
  | to relative paths,

It clearly doesn't.   But Casper is obviously reading these messages
so can clarify if needed.

But
    The PATH being searched
refers to the PATH variable from the environment.

The point is that when one passes an environment to the child,
it may contain a setting for PATH which is different from the one
present in the parent.   But it is the PATH in the parent that is
used for locating the command (if it contains no '/' in its name, if
it does, posix_spawnp() is simply posix_spawn()).

When PATH contains relative path entries (which is not a good
thing to do, but is permitted):

  | resolved against the parent's pwd or the child's post-chdir file
  | action pwd.

It is always the latter (as specified).   All you need do is look at
the new text in note 4830 (bug 1208) (the clarification that started
this discussion when I missed seeing the 3rd 'p' in posix_spawnp())
determine that.

  | Before the action, or no action is added like with posix_spawn(),
  | those are the same; after they are usually different.

Actually, I doubt that the chdir() file actions are likely to be used
very much, so they'd usually be the same - but I know what you mean.

You don't need to explain the use cases, you just need to correctly
interpret what is going on here.