>   | Solaris uses "Reply-To:" to replace just "From:"
>   | (although it has "R" and "r" the wrong way round!)
>
> The original BSD "Mail" did it that way, I have no idea when they
> swapped cases, that is 'r' was a "small" reply, and "R" a "big" reply...
>
> But almost everyone uses "big" replies all the time, replying only to
> the author is a less common thing to do, and R is harder to type than r,
> so I guess somewhere along the way, someone switched them.

This is controlled by the POSIX-standard mailx variable "flipr".  It
can be set system-wide (/etc/mail.rc) or per-user ($HOME/.mailrc).
Some of the history can be found in the POSIX rationale:

"The meanings of r and R are reversed between System V mailx and SunOS
Mail. Once again, since this volume of POSIX.1-2017 chose the mailx
name, it kept the System V default, but allows the SunOS user to
achieve the desired results using flipr, an internal variable in
System V mailx, although it has not been documented in the SVID."

 - Mark

  • Re: Replying to the ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Replying to... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Replyin... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Replying to... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Replyin... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: Replyin... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Mail di... Andrew Josey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • mailx R... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: mai... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Mark Harris via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group