On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 12:01 +0000, Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at
The Open Group wrote:
> I haven't been able to come up with a common initial statement that
> is preferable to just describing the two methods separately. So
> unless someone else wants to give it a go, I suggest that I should
> restructure that part along these lines:
>
>     The <i>make</i> utility shall use one of the following two methods
>     to attempt to create the file or bring it up-to-date:
>
>     1. The "immediate remaking" method
>
>         If <i>make</i> uses this method, any target rules or inference
>         rules for the pathname that were parsed before the include line
>         was parsed shall be used to attempt to create the file or to
>         bring it up-to-date before opening the file.
>
>     2. The "delayed remaking" method
>
>         If <i>make</i> uses this method, no attempt shall be made to
>         create the file or bring it up-to-date until after the
>         makefile(s) have been read.  During processing of the include
>         line, <i>make</i> shall read the current contents of the file,
>         if it exists, or treat it as an empty file if it does not exist.
>         Once the makefile(s) have been read, <i>make</i> shall use any
>         applicable target rule or inference rule for the pathname,
>         regardless of whether it is parsed before or after the include
>         line, when creating the file or bringing it up-to-date.

This seems OK to me.

I like the idea of using two separate sections; the process seems
different enough that it's confusing to shoe-horn it into a single one.

  • Re: [Issue 8 drafts 0... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [Issue 8 dra... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: [Issue 8... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: [Iss... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re: ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [Issue 8 dra... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: [Issue 8... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: [Iss... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re: ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group