Paul Smith wrote, on 05 Nov 2020:

> > > Can we just say that?  All include file regeneration is complete
> > > before make attempts to bring the first target_name operand, or the
> > > first target make encounters if no target is specified?
> >
> > If we simplify it too much, it won't be correct. For example,
> > consider the case where the first target_name operand is the name of
> > an include file that needs to be created.
>
> I agree we can't over-simplify but I don't see a problem with the
> specific case you mention.

If the first target_name operand is the name of an include file that
needs to be created, your statement "All include file regeneration is
complete before make attempts to bring [up-to-date] the first
target_name operand" creates a paradox.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England

  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [Is... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [Is... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group