Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group <austin-group-l@opengroup.org>
wrote:

> Paul Smith wrote, on 07 Nov 2020:
> >
> > Unless we are proposing pattern rules for inclusion in POSIX, [...]
>
> This was proposed in 2011 in bug 513, which is still open.

the problem with this bug report is that I got the impression, it started with
the wrong intention.

The important point is that you need pattern rules if you like to put
compilation results into platform specific sub-directories.

I like to get pattern rules into the standard by only requiring a subset of
what
has been available since January 1986.

The documentation is currently on page 30 of the man page:

        http://schilytools.sourceforge.net/man/man1/make.1s.html

I would only standardize the form:

       tp%ts: dp%ds
            rule

and mention

       tp%ts: [dependency ...] dp%ds [dependency ...]
            rule

only as a potential enhancement that is not part of the standard.

Smake e.g. currently only supports:

       tp%ts: dp%ds
            rule

and

       tp%ts:
            rule

BTW: this reminds me that I need to add documentation for:

       tp%ts:
            rule

Note that the behavior of SunPro Make was not changed since 1986 with regards
to pattern matching rules.

Do you believe we have a chance to get to a text for Issue-8?

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
                                              Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

      • Re:... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group