Robert Elz wrote in
 <11054.1612115...@jinx.noi.kre.to>:
 |    Date:        Sun, 31 Jan 2021 06:48:25 +0000
 |    From:        "Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The \
 |    Open Group" <austin-group-l@opengroup.org>
 |
 || A NOTE has been added to this issue.
 |
 |This comment isn't worthy of a note, but
 |
 || As most of the remaining issues are with $'\uXXXX' and $'\UXXXXXXXX', I
 || would suggest that it be dropped for issue8 for now.
 |
 |what is the "it" you're suggesting dropping (or deferring)?
 |
 |The whole of $'...' or just the (two) \u escapes inside $''
 |I'd like to see $'' included, but if the only way to do that is to
 |omit the \u (both) escape sequences, I could live with that, particularly
 |as exactly how the shell should use unicode chars is still very much
 |uncertain (eg: if I want to write a case statement that would match
 |various currency symbols, just how do I encode that?  Does it depend
 |upon the user's current locale, if so, how do I write a portable
 |script (do I need to iconv constant strings?), and if not, how is the
 |user's input supposed to match, particularly if they're not using
 |a UTF-8 locale.
 |
 |There's lots more work needed (initially by implementers, not here)

Letting aside the \u stuff which currently goes via iconv(3) (and
thus likely causes replacement to occur in case the locale
character set cannot handle), not without reiterating that the
real future proof approach would be to require iconv(3) to handle
Unicode grapheme boundaries, and that in turn meaning that
multiple \u must be interpreted in sequence because Unicode is not
about single codepoints but at least potentially graphemes aka
real characters which are formed of multiple adjacent individual
codepoints.

I am not standing in your way, it is only about commenting that it
is worthwhile noting that quoted ranges should extend to the
maximum length possible in order to allow all languages of the
world to benefit from internationalization efforts (sic).

What else.  Having \$ would be nice, i have it for the little MUA
i maintain.  If you just look at this simple shell snippet, and
i could have quoted other things, though admittedly

         chown '"${user}"':'"${group}"' '"${user}"' || exit 6
         echo 0 > '"${user}"'/"'"${datfile}"'"
         chmod 0600 '"${user}"'/"'"${datfile}"'"

could be quoted as unities, hmm.
Anyhow with $'' in its best epiphany, so to say, there would be
a single flow of progression, and so much nicer to the human eye

  -c $'
         chown \${user}:\${group} \${user} || exit 6
         echo 0 > \${user}/"\${datfile}"
         chmod 0600 \${user}/"\${datfile}"
  '

that i do not understand reluctance of you all.
Ciao,

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

  • [1003.1(2008... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
                • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group