"tg...@mirbsd.org via austin-group-l at The Open Group"
<austin-group-l@opengroup.org> wrote:

> Don Cragun dixit:
>
> >No.
> [?]
>
> Erm, yes. For some reason, I assumed the OP wrote &> instead of >&
> which have the same meaning in GNU bash (but &> is the parse-trouble
> one even if the bash manpage actively recommends it). I guess their
> ?~>&? confused me. My point of _please_ using ?>file 2>&1? instead
> is still valid, ofc.

BTW: I would not call it a hard parse error but a semantic problem, since the
standard only mentions numbers after >&

ksh

echo bla >& /dev/zero
ksh: /dev/zero: bad file unit number

Bourne Shell

echo bla >& /dev/zero
/dev/zero: bad number

Jörg

--
EMail:jo...@schily.net                  Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
                                        Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

  • Re: utilities and w... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: utilities ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: utilities ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: utilit... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ut... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group