On 30/06/2021 16:56, Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group wrote:
On 6/30/21 11:49 AM, Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group wrote:

Erm, yes. For some reason, I assumed the OP wrote &> instead of >&
which have the same meaning in GNU bash (but &> is the parse-trouble
one even if the bash manpage actively recommends it). I guess their
?~>&? confused me. My point of _please_ using ?>file 2>&1? instead
is still valid, ofc.

BTW: I would not call it a hard parse error but a semantic problem, since the
standard only mentions numbers after >&

It does not. The redirection is specified as `[n]>&word'. [...]

mirabilos wrote that it was a misreading of >& as &>. For &>, it is a different story:

  echo hello &>/dev/null

In POSIX sh, this runs 'echo hello' in the background, and independent of that, opens /dev/null for writing and immediately closes it, unless this is explicitly made unspecified in some section I have missed. In bash, even in POSIX mode, this runs 'echo hello' with both stdout and stderr redirected to /dev/null.

Cheers,
Harald van Dijk

  • Re: utilities and wr... L A Walsh via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: utilities a... L A Walsh via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: utiliti... tg...@mirbsd.org via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: uti... L A Walsh via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... tg...@mirbsd.org via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... L A Walsh via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Don Cragun via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... tg...@mirbsd.org via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: uti... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: utilities a... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: utiliti... L A Walsh via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: uti... Oğuz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: uti... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group